top of page
Please reload

What expenses can be paid?

Only those expenses incurred as the result of an athletic injury or illness sustained during NCAA-sanctioned and staff supervised practice or competition.  This includes diagnostic exams, treatment, surgery, rehabilitation, and follow-up appointments by team physicians and approved health care providers.

When will ISU pay on bills?

After the primary carrier, group or personal insurance, has considered the claim; ISU will pay any balances due for the charges including deductibles and co-payments.

Will my child be covered by our medical policy after he/she turns 18?

Most insurance companies automatically drop coverage of dependents when the child turns 18 unless the child is a full-time student.  Parents should contact the insurance company to find out what information is needed to maintain coverage for the student throughout the year.  We would be glad to assist you in obtaining a full-time verification document.

What should I do if I receive a bill for medical services related to an athletic injury?

Forward the bill to the Student-Athlete Insurance Coordinator, Feldman Athletic Health Care Center, Jacobson Building, Ames, IA  50011 immediately.

What should I do if I receive a check from the insurance company of the claim submitted?

Call the Insurance Coordinator, Erin Wilson at (515) 294-2946 or email  immediately.  You will be instructed as to what to do with the payment.

What if I only have an HMO or PPO?

We ask that you provide the name and address of your primary care physician.  Some HMO/PPO plans will waive the network requirement if the network physician provides a referral.  Additionally, you should contact your insurance company to find out if physicians in Ames are participating providers.  You may also want to find out if there is additional coverage for college students who are out-of-network.  Again, you are encouraged to consider student health insurance in the event of a non-athletic injury/illness.

We currently go to the local pharmacy to get prescriptions filled. Where will my child go in Ames?

The Hy-Vee Pharmacy at McFarland Clinic  is normally used to fill prescriptions.  Please include copies of pharmacy cards if available along with any special instructions for filing pharmacy claims.

If my student-athlete is a "WALK-ON" is insurance required?


Please reload

bottom of page